Dr. Hongzhong Yan is a full professor and doctoral advisor at the School of Economics of Shanghai University of Finance and Economics. He is currently executive director of China Economic History Society(CEHS), deputy director of the professional committee of modern history of CEHS, New Century Outstanding Talent of Ministry of Education and chief expert of major projects of National Social Science Fund. He graduated from the School of Economics of Nankai University in 2006 with a Ph.D. in Economics; engaged in theoretical economics postdoctoral research in Peking University from 2008 to 2010; furthered his research in Stanford University as a visiting scholar in the year 2014(February to August). In recent years, he presided over 10 projects, such as National Social Science Fund, general and post Financing Project of National Social Science Fund, National Scientific Research Project of Qingshi(code.chi.business.merchant), Ministry of Education Social Science Fund and Postdoctoral Science Foundation. As to his publication achievements, Professor Yan published over 60 papers in core journals domestically and internationally, including 'Economic Research Journal', 'Journal of History Research', China Economic Quarterly, Journal of Financial Research, “Modern Chinese History Studies', Frontiers of History in China, Research of Chinese Economic History, Research of Chinese Social and Economic History, and monographs such as Monetary and Financial Systems of China from 1600 to 1949, Jin Merchants and Modern Economy, Comparisons of Jin and Hui Merchants in Ming and Qing Dynasties(co-authored), A Research on World Market Price Fluctuation and Modern China's Industrial Structure Model(co-authored), etc. With his research achievements, he has obtained honorable awards, including 4 First Prizes and 1 Second Prizes of Provincial Social Science Research Outstanding Achievements, 2 First Prizes of Provincial Teaching Achievements, and 2 Third Awards for Outstanding University Scientific Research Achievements by the Ministry of Education. Besides, his footprint covered Holland, South Africa, Japan and the USA to attend the World Economic History Congress and American Business History Annual Convention.
Jul. 2003 ~ Dec. 2006, Lecturer, Associate Professor, Master Advisor, School of Economics and Management, Shanxi University
Jan. 2007 ~ Sep. 2011, Associate Professor, Master Advisor, Deputy Director of Shanxi Merchants Institute, Shanxi University
Oct. 2011 ~ Dec. 2012, Professor, PhD Advisor, Deputy Director of Shanxi Merchants Institute, Shanxi University
Nov. 2007 ~ Nov. 2010, Postdoctoral Researcher in Theoretical Economics, School of Economics, Peking University
Jan. 2013 ~ present, Professor, PhD Advisor, School of Economics, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
1. The Transition of Thoughts on Grain Control in the Qing Dynasty: A Survey of the Great Debate on the Ever-Normal Granary and Grain Prices in 1748 [with Fang Wang and Duo Zhang], Frontiers of Economics in China, accepted 2019.9.
2. Research on the Impact of Industrialization on Government Post Purchase System in the Late Qing——with a focus on the Property Rights Protection Mechanism in the Development of New Enterprises [With Xin Wei], China Economic Quarterly, Issue 3, 2019.
3. Why can foreign currency notes circulate in modern China for such a long time? - Competitive Currency Market in Northeast China and Its Enlightenment [with Yuwei Li], Journal of Finance and Economics, forthcoming in 2019.
4. The Development and Characteristics of Modern Chinese Domestic Exchange Market [with Yuwei Li], Jinan Journal (Philosophy & Social Science Edition), Issue 4, 2019.
1. The Dispute between Japanese Different Colonial Groups on Monetary Standard Policy in Northeast China (1906-1933) [with Xu Chen], Historical Research, Issue 5, 2018. It was reproduced by National People's Congress Newspapers and photocopying in Contemporary History of China, Issue 2, 2019.
2.“A Multi-Layer System and Its Features: Reconceptualizing the Monetary Regime of Late Qing and Modern China” [with Zhijian Qiao, Chen Xu ], Frontiers of Economics in China (FEC), Vol 13 No.3, 2018.
3. The Rise of Foreign Financial Capital and Local Financial Power-- with a Focus on the Establishment of the Official Bank of Fengtian, Researches in Chinese Economic History, Issue 3, 2018.
4. Fa Shang Sheng Xi in Qing and its Influence -- a Regional Analysis based on Tumd Qing History File [with Wenhui Chen], The Journal of Chinese Social and Economic History, Issue 2, 2018
5. Research on Dual Currency and Dual Economy in Modern China [with Xu Chen], Zhejiang Social Sciences, Issue 8, 2018.
1. A Research on the Soybean Futures Market in Late Qing with a Focus on Liao River Basin in Northeastern China [with Yu Gao], Modern Chinese History Studies, Issue 2, 2017. It was reproduced by National People's Congress Newspapers and photocopying in Modern History of China, vol9, 2017.
2. Furnace Silver Transfer Crisis and Institutional Adjustment in Late Qing [with Yu Gao], Researches in Chinese Economic History, Issue 2, 2017
3. The Bankruptcy of Xi Yi Shun and the Fall of Furnace Silver Transfer System [with Chen Xu], Social Sciences in Guizhou, Issue 5, 2017
4. Government Post Purchase System in Late Qing, Political Orientation and the 1911 Revolution in China [with Xin Wei], Journal of Finance and Economics, Issue 10, 2017.
5. Fiscal Transformation, Financial Development and Economic Transformation—on the Diverging and Merging in the Long-term Financial Development of China and the West, Zhejiang Social Sciences, Issue 12, 2017.
1. A Research on the Development of Regional Monetary Market in Late Qing with a Focus on 'Furnace Silver Transfer' in Yingkou [with Fang Wang and Yu Gao], Historical Research, Issue 3, 2016
2. Business Functions and Market Network of Trade in Yingkou in Late Qing [with Chen Xu], Researches in Chinese Economic History, Issue 4, 2016
3. Imperial Examination System, Government Post Purchase System, and Official Promotion [with Xin Wei], Journal of Finance and Economics, Issue 11, 2016
4. How to Look upon the Three Great Risks in the Current Economic Growth of China, People's Tribune, Issue S1, 2016
1.'Governmental Debts and Financial Development of Modern China', Journal of Finance and Economics, vol9, 2015.
2. 'Opium Monopoly and Finance Dominance during the Japanese Occupation in Qingdao' [with Gao yu], Researches in Chinese Economic History, vol1, 2015.
3. 'Research on Financial History of China: Dynamics and Progress' [with Wang fang], Researches in Chinese Economic History, vol1, 2015.
4. The Main Characteristicsof the Development of Rural Finance inKuomingtang-dominated Areas in 1930s and 40s[with Chao Zhao],Academic Journal of Zhongzhou, Issue 8, 2015
1. 'The Modern Transformation of the Traditional Financial from the Perspective of the Shanxi Bill Firm: Based on the Comparison with the Development of the Bank of England', Journal of Finance and Economics, vol8, 2014.
2. 'Discussion on the Historical Function of the Sino-Russian Border Trade in Qiaktu' [with Feng ruofei], The Journal of Humanities, vol8, 2014.
it was reproduced by National People's Congress Newspapers in history of Ming and Qing Dynasty in vol1,2014.
3. 'The Structural Change and Productivity Growth of Resource dependency Economy' [with Feng ruofei], Theoretical exploration, vol4, 2014.
1. 'Modern China's financial development: the path structure', Journal of Shandong University, vol1, 2013.
2. 'Middle business in the Dynasty and its operating characteristics', The Journal of Chinese Social and Economic History, vol1, 2013.
1.'Studies of the Qing Government's Management of Intermediary Business and Its Problems',Journal of Tsinghua University, vol4, 2012.
2.'Strategy Equilibrium and Institutional Efficiency: Analysis of Principal-agent Institution of Jin-merchants of the Ming and Qing Dynasties Based on Game Theory', Journal of Finance and Economics, vol7, 2012.
3.' Financial Innovation and the Rise of Shanxi Piaohao', Journal of Shanxi University, vol4, 2012.
4. 'Path to promote the development of China's logistics industry', 'GuangMing Daily' (THEORY EDITION), August 26, 2012 seventh edition.
5. 'On the Selection of Early Modern Enterprise System Model: The Case of China Merchants Steamship Navigation Company', Social Science Front, vol11, 2012. it was reproduced by National People's Congress Newspapers in Economic History, vol2,2013.
1.'Money Supply, Monetary Structure and Economic Development Trend in China: From 1650～1936', Journal of Financial Research, vol.7, 2011. It was reproduced by National People's Congress Newspapers and photocopying in Chinese Economic History, vol6, 2011.
2. 'Shanxi Merchants in Ming and Qing Dynasties system basic mode and Realization of self-implementation and collective punishment mechanism', The Journal of Chinese Social and Economic History, vol3, 2011.
1. 'On Capital in Irrigation Development process in Hetao Area in the Qing Dynasty', The Journal of Chinese Social and Economic History, vol1, 2010.
2. 'The Causation and Infection of the Relation between Shanxi Merchants and the Government—A contract Analysis about the Traditional Relation of the Trader and Government', Zhejiang Social Sciences, vol7, 2010.
3.'Rent-seeking Theory and the Relationship between Officials and Merchants in Traditional Society——A Probe into the Economic Motivation of Jin Merchants' Combination with Government', Journal of Shanxi University(Philosophy and Social Science Edition),vol4,2010.
4. 'A Brief Analysis of Yan Xishan's Hetao Farming and Economic Development of the Agriculture', Journal of Hetao University, vol1, 2010.
1.'The Level of Modern China's Financial Development', Economic Research Journal,vol5,2009, it was reproduced by National People's Congress Newspapers in Chinese Economic History,vol5,2009.
2. 'Economic growth and fluctuation in the early Qing Dynasty: From the perspective of monetary circulation', Frontiers of History in China, Volume 4, Number 2, 2009.
3.'The Development of New Style Banking Industry in the Modern History in China', Journal of Financial Research, vol9,2009.
4. 'Income Effect, Couse Theorem and Harmonious Society', Management World, vol12, 2009.
5. 'An Analysis of Currency and Currency Institution of Late Qing Dynasty', Journal of Shanxi University, vol4, 2009.
6.'Credit Explanation of Jin Merchants Prosperity and Decline—from The Perspective of Historical Institutional Analysis', On Economic Problems, vol3,2009.
7. 'An Analysis of Commercial Strength of Jin and Hui Merchants, Business and Finance: Reginald Economic Development from Modern Times, International Academic Paper Collection, Shanxi Economic Press, 2009.
1. 'Economic Growth and Fluctuation in Early Qing Dynasty from The Perspective of Currency Circulation', Studies in Qing History, vol3, 2008, it was reproduced by Xinhua Digest, vol21, 2008.
2. 'Industrial Organizational Module and Application', Economic Management, vol11, 2008.
3. 'An Analysis of Chinese Pawn Industry's Development Strategy—Based on Shanxi Pawn Businessmen's Experience', On Economic Problems, vol6, 2008.
4. 'Risk Precaution Analysis of Jin Merchant's Credit Institution—Take Credit Arrangement of Shanxi Piaohao Industry as An Example' ,International Academic Paper Collection Specialized on The Relationship of Globalization and Localization Set in Shanxi Province, Shanxi Economic Press,2008.
1. 'Commerce and Finance: Chinese Regional Economic Development from Modern Times', Researches in Chinese Economic History, vol3, 2007.
2. 'An Estimation of The Capital and Gross Interest of Shanxi Piaohao ', Journal of Shanxi University, vol6,2007.
3. 'An Enlightenment of Jin Merchant's Credit Mechanism', On Economic Problems, vol11, 2007.
4. 'The Outflow of Silver and Monetary Financial System Changes of Modern China, 1800-1935', ZhangFuYun and Modern Chinese Customs International Academic Paper Collection, Shanghai Social and Science Press,2007.
1. 'A Case Study of National Trade in Qing Dynasty -- Shahukou Supervision Points a Memorial Analysis', Researches in Chinese Economic History, vol1, 2006.
2. 'Tradition and Modern of Economic History', Journal of Shanxi University, vol1,2006.
3. 'The Origin and keeping Mechanism of Credit: A Study based on the Activities of Jin-merchant', On Economic Problems, vol2, 2006.
4. 'Analysis of family scale changes in modern china' ZhongCunZhe compile: The history of the formation of 1930's capitalist economy in East Asia, University of Tokyo Press, 2006.
1. 'Current Situation and Strategies of Economic History Teaching', Researches in Chinese Economic History, vol4, 2005.
2. 'Founamental Problems of Jin Merchant Study'Jnshang Jubo,Shanxi Economic Press,2005.
3. 'Taipingtianguo Movement's Economic Policy and Sino- western Culture', Journal of Historical Science, vol7, 2005.
4. 'Analysis of Chinese modern family size', The world economy under the system of national economy ,Academic papers in international economic, China financial and Economic Publishing house,2005.
5. 'The Reasons and Influences of The Interrogation Between Jin Merchant and Government',Jinshang Jubo, Shanxi Economic Press,2005.
1. 'Management Features of Early Modern Enterprises---Take Steamship Company as an Example', Journal of Jinan University, vol4, 2004.
1. 'The Role of Traditional Culture in Business Practice—Take Jin and Hui Merchants' Management as an Example', China Soft Science,vol.1,2003.
2. 'Social Changes and Decomposition of Jin Merchant since Modern Times', Journal of Shanxi University, vol.1, 2003.
3. 'Boundary Exploitation's Economic Reasons and Influence in Qing Dynasty ',Research in Chinese Economic History, vol3,2003.
1. Monetary and Financial Systems of China from 1600 to 1949: A Study on Economic Performance and Modernization, China Rennin University Press, 2012.
2. Jin Merchant and modern economy, Economic Science Press, 2012.
3. Comparison of Jin and Hui merchants in the Ming and Qing Dynasties, Shanxi Economic Press, 2012.
4. World Market Price Fluctuation and Modern China's Industrial Structure and Module Research(co-authored), People's Press, Beijing, 2007.
5. Research of Jin-Merchant Credit Institution and Changes, Shanxi Economic Press(co-authored), Taiyuan, 2008.
6. Shanxi Pawn Merchant Study, Shanxi Economic Press,Taiyuan,2007.
7. Jin-Merchant Institution Changes Study in Ming and Qing Dynasties(co-authored), Shanxi People's Press, Taiyuan, 2005.
8. Jin-Merchant Research(co-authored), Shanxi People's Press, Taiyuan, 2005.
1. China Economic History (co-authored, Member of the Editorial Board and one of key authors), Higher Education Press, 2019. The book is one of the focus textbooks for Marxist theoretical research and construction project.
2.China Economic History(co-edited), Higher Education Press, Beijing, 2008.
1. Major Project of National Social Science Fund, “Research on the Development and Operation of the Financial Market of Modern China”(16ZDA133)
2. The National Social Science Fund, 'Research on the Modern Sino-Japanese Currency War（1906-1945）'（13BJL019）.
3. New era supporting plan of talent'government debt、financial development and long term economic growth research: from the perspective of history comparison ' （NCET -13-0894）
4.the National Social Science Fund,'Monetary and Financial Systems of China ---A Study on Economic Performance and Modernization'(10FJL001).
5. The national major scientific research project of 'QingShi engineering' Code-chi· Business· merchant)(200810120203001).
6. Ministry of Education Social Science Fund' ,The financial system and development in modern times' (07JA790003).
7. Postdoctoral scientific fund' Financial market development and the study of early modern Chinese economy'(20080430277).
8. Postdoctoral scientific fund special funding', Monetary and Financial Systems of China from 1600 to 1949.'(200902017).
1. The 15th World Economic History Congress 2009 in Utrecht University of Holland.
2. The 16th World Economic History Congress Stellenbosch South Africa.
3. The 17th World Economic History Congress, 2015, Kyoto, Japan.
4. Summer Workshop of Economic History and Economic Development, 2015, Stanford University
5. The 18th World Economic History Congress, 2018, Boston, USA.
Economic History of China I, Economic History of China II, Economic History of China, Shanxi Merchants Culture and Management, Financial History of China